#51 Fall 09


3.75″h by 2.75″w


Back to Burning

Well, my kiln repair worked and I got a glaze load fired off. I’m always relieved when my repairs haven’t created any larger problems. The repair was strait forward enough, but even something as simple as replacing a broken element is really hard on this old kiln. The soft brick walls the elements are embedded into are very quick to crumble and I’ve been eyeballing a switch or two, wondering when I’m going to get to learn how to test and fix them as well.

I’m happy with how this load came out. The teapots came out really really nicely, and the yunomi cups, with their thickly slipped hakeme surfaces under a translucent dark amber glaze, came out beautifully.

Harvest Ware

These are gorgeous!

Harvest Ware

I started pushing a load of small teabag trivets through the studio again. I was surprised at how well these were received last fall. I’ve sold and given away all of last years load of trivets and I’ve already gotten enough seasonal requests for these little dishes to make me begin creating a larger inventory for my fall sales.


There were a few 14 pounders in on this load too. These are some of the large sectional thrown canisters that I’ve been working on lately. I’ve I needed a few of theses larger canisters for Novembers Potters Guild sale. This is the scale I love to work in. It’s taken over a year to start getting consistent results that I can begin to count on. Now I can more freely invest the time the time necessary to create more elaborate surfaces with out fretting over major defects.

Harvest Ware Harvest WareThese aren’t the most exciting glazes, but they are handsomely warm.

Harvest Ware

Besides… they’re a great “fit” for the recycled clay body that I used to practice throwing these canisters.

Harvest Ware

“Living Life on the Learning Curve” or “Another Day of Doh!”

All right, so a good part of Monday was spent prepping the kiln, glazing bisque ware, and then came a typical long night of burning expectations while the kiln fires.

Well… I’m often the one who points out that if you aren’t messing stuff up, you aren’t trying hard enough.

Yeah I know, it’s probably not a great catch phrase to run a business by, it is an excellent motto to investigate a process with. Still… it can get pretty frustrating sometimes, but sometimes the results are amazing.
Fetishghost Yunomi
This came out looking like a nice ‘n’ tasty toasty marshmallow.
Fetishghost Blue Yunomi
A scrumptious GhostBlue glaze with fantastic optics trapped in the surface breaking off the rim. The photo series from this shoot doesn’t do this glaze combo justice. This series is gorgeous!
Fetishghost Toasted Yunomi

I love the new GhostMoth stencil. I cut a stack of 32, but I’ve already used up nearly all of em. I live for the small victories!

Like I was saying… so with all the success there was still a downside. And of course it was a big one. I had decided to try using shallow trivets with some of the cups to catch any glaze that might roll off the surface. I thought a few cups and their glaze combos might be susceptible to a little running. I had a hunch for a new solution and I needed to try it out.
Fetishghost Process
I was WRONG.
Fetishghost Process Fetishghost Process Detail
The shallow concave of the trivet vitrified it self to the cup at the point of contact…
The edge of the foot then broke nicely away, creating a full set of beautiful 2nds
And so ends my day of “Doh!”

Steam Gear Cup Part 2

Fetishghost Steam Ware

This is the process of applying the newsprint stencils to the surface of a freshly thrown cup that’s still attached to the wheel head. The stencils are adhered to the surface by spritzing the surface of the cup with water and laying the stencil in place. A gentle pressing with a damp sponge sets the stencil in to place.

Fetishghost Steam Ware

A contrasting colored clay slip is then sponged over the entire design. This slip was colored with cobalt oxide, this will fire to a wonderful blue that will influence any glaze that applied over it.

Fetishghost Steam WareNow I can set back an get a feel how the new stencils have worked. I’ll cut a foot on the bottom after it stiffens overnight.

Playing with Novel Formats for Etsy Listings

Time Flies Yunomi Demo
I started pasting together a handful of these demo pages last month using a few the spare photos Andor and I had taken this summer. I thought these paste-ups might be a novel addition to my Etsy shop pages and I needed to explore different ways communicating some of the processes I use to create my work.
This seems to be a recurring theme this year. In all the different venues I’m currently working with, figuring out how to show customers what happens in the studio seems to make a huge difference in customers perceptions and how they value my finished work.
I’ll post a few of these on slow nights.

Bone Orchard TeaWare

Cross Bone Yunomi
Fetishghost TeaWare
Well there’s got to be a beginning, a place to start. Is this it?….. No, probably not. But this does have to start somewhere, so this will be it.


I’ll save introductions for later and dive into what’s been happening in the studio this week.


I spent last weekend throwing and slipping designs onto 9 more yunomi to add to my newBoneOrchard TeaWare Collection for the studio. I needed the smaller ware to help fill out the kiln load. Some of these are for a handful of local and regional tea & coffee shops and a few are for my friends on Etsy. Most of these are coming out of the kiln as Racers. I’m sitt’n happy with the smaller works, but there is a good many Larger works that are scheduled refires that have to go back through the fire this week. There’s alot of R&D that has to happen this week too to get all the ducks lined up. Doh!